Mexico Notes 5/08

Image by Bob Hansen
Greetings Everyone,

This will be my last email from my coastal voyage. I will be heading back to California in a few days. I hope you have enjoyed the sharing of my journey down the coast. It has been one heck of a good time. The world is a small place and the people I've met along the way have been so caring and beautiful! It’s Sunday morning (Mother’s Day...hola mom up there in Heaven) and I’m writing this at my laptop while looking out my balcony at the Pacific Ocean in Mexico. I am thinking about how thankful I am for the gift of life and the ability to have gotten here via a sailboat. I have attached one last picture from one of my evening walks near my condo…enjoy the vista!

I saw this neat movie down here called “The Bucket List” staring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nickolson. In this movie, they both make a list of things they wanted to see and/or do in life. So, I thought I’d share a short list of things that I have seen or done over the last several months on this journey.

• I experienced the wide open sea and the wonders it offers…
• Visited remote islands and coves…
• Enjoyed dancing dolphins at sea and at anchor…
• Saw the marvelous breaching of whales…what a treat!
• Felt the environment and the joy it can bring to my spirit…
• Saw some of the most stunning sunsets and sunrises that one can imagine…
• Experienced the feel of the tradewinds…
• Enjoyed watching the palm trees sway…
• Lived in a small village and learned how simple and precious things are…
• Tried food that I would have never tried if I wasn’t traveling...
• Learned what the bureaucracy of international ownership is about…
• Enjoyed listening to the cheerful sounds of tropical birds…
• I saw my first iguana…
• I saw my first scorpion…
• And I saw the turtles and crocodiles too…
• Took a real jungle cruise…
• Met some of the most amazing people along the way…
• Learned what true joy and happiness is all about…
• I learned to juggle…
• I had dinner with a Senator…
• I had dinner with a Villager
• I had dinner at sea…
• I went to two Mexican weddings…
• Had some of the best Margaritas in the world…
• Relaxed on some of the finest beaches…
• I saw and loved the Sierra Madre Mountains…
• And the list goes on and on…

I will close by sharing my evening last night with you. I was in a small village called Colimilla. I wanted to say goodbye to my friends who treated me with love and respect. The whole village community was gathered outside in front of their simple homes. Everyone was enjoying each others company. The weather was in the mid 80’s and tropical. And I had a crowd of maybe 8 or 9 kids from the neighborhood all around me…we were clowning around, juggling and passing tennis balls to each other. It was so much fun! I saw joy, felt joy, and I gave joy!!! It reminded me of how great life can be. So simple, yet so cool at the same time. That night I went to bed and I thanked the Lord for these wonderful people and the fantastic journey I was able to experience.

See you all soon…

Seas the day,
Bob